Sunday, March 17, 2013

Apple of insanity





I know eggplant is not in season right now but we had a hankering for melanzane alla parmigiana. Mr. Cowboy made a huge pot of tomato sauce even going so far as to roast some of the fresh tomatoes so that they wouldn't taste like cardboard.







Bought lots of extra cheese!



I roasted the eggplant and then layered it with the tomato sauce and cheese. I didn't really need a recipe for this but just for fun I checked out Jamie's recipe in Jamie's Italy. He sprinkled the top with breadcrumbs but we just topped ours with the rest of the cheese.
Jamie only bakes his for half an hour but we let it go for double that and the top layer of cheese was nicely browned.

"...the Italians call it melanzana, derived from the Latin mala insana, or apple of insanity."
From "Al dente" by William Black

1 comment:

barbara@sparrowavenue said...

brilliant idea to roast the tomatoes first (especially this time of year).
I think I'll try that too