Sunday, October 25, 2009

Dutch baby in a birds nest eating apple pie with chicken

Just finished reading a great book - A homemade life by Molly Wizenberg. I had never had a Dutch baby so this morning I tried the recipe from the book. As soon as it came out of the oven I poured lots of lemon juice on the top and dusted it with powdered sugar. We ate it right out of the pie plate. Could have used more lemon juice.

When I saw this recipe on one of my favourite blogs - A day in the country- I just had to make them. Last time we went to Summerland we stocked up on jam so this is a great recipe for using up all those half empty jars of jam. I still have the card that HC sent to me when she replied to my letter. Very nice just like her cookies.

The birdbath was frozen this morning so this is the kind of day when you don't mind having the oven on. This is the first time I have made a piecrust with butter - I have been using the same recipe from someone named Martha for the last I don't know how many years. I have just met Prettylulu but decide to try her recipe. I follow her instructions except for measuring the apples, I've never measured my apples before. The kitchen is very warm but the dough rolls out like a dream, no need to patch. After baking I let it rest for an hour before we cut into it, the crust is sweet and delicate, the cranberries pop, and the apples are juicy, really juicy. Maybe I should have measured them.
These are the last of our cherry tomatoes. Valodya made Mediterranean chicken for dinner - can't wait for next year to grow some more tomatoes.

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Anna your pie looks great! I actually like a darker crust, which is one of the reasons I was bummed about forgetting the sugar in mine. No sugar, no brown!
I'll have to let my mum know about your blog - she was a (Prince) Rupert Girl so I bet she'd get a kick out of the title.

Cheers,
Chelsea (prettylulu)

Italo said...

Ciao Anna, in Italy now is 16.00, it's time for a piece of cake and coffee. I see your post and I think: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I want it. It's delicious.
Great post.
PS: You know what I think it can be nice in these posts, (IN GENERAL, IN ALL BLOGS!): that you write the hour of start and end(cleaning included :D).