Sunday, February 14, 2010

French press prickly pears in a sheepskin

First time that I have used my french press and I really love it! Had been searching for good beans and of course, my health food store stocks Saltspring Island coffee, and even though I had to buy decaf, it was still great tasting java. Whole wheat pancakes with blueberry syrup started our Valentines day off on the right foot.

And what a nice surprise to get my very own sheepskin. Tucked into my corner of the couch, it makes napping or knitting or reading that much more enjoyable.

For our candlelight dinner, I bravely tried a new recipe - Chicken with Escarole, Apples, and Potatoes from Sara Jenkins cookbook called Olives and Oranges. It all cooks in one large skillet. The combination of flavours, apples, escarole and potatoes with lots of white wine is 'comfort food at its best'.
And for dessert, nothing is as good as a bowl of prickly pears. As soon as I got them home, I carefully peeled them and put them in the fridge. The longer they chill the better they taste. These of course are from California and do not even come close to the ones I have had in Italy.
For second desserts, we will be sampling Jeju cactus chocolates from Korea, sent to us by TG who just happened to phone as I was writing this post. A good long chat, some laughs - a wonderful way to end the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

French presses are great! I just saw a recipe today where they made a broth with fresh herbs and served it tableside in a French Press, with a bowl to pour it into after it had steeped.