Monday, November 15, 2010

Baking day





It was cloudy and drizzling today but I was still up early to check out my favourite junque store's big sale. Too wet to clean up the garden so I baked a batch of soft pretzels from The Harrow Fair cookbook by Moira Sanders and Lori Elstone. After baking they smelled like popcorn which I love and these were great dipped in honey-mustard sauce.


Last time we were in Naramata we bought a bag of fresh walnuts from an old Portuguese lady - she had a huge orchard of all kinds of fruit plus the nut trees. So I decided to make walnut bread - I can't remember where I got the recipe from but it did not double in size even though I let it rest for over an hour. But the bread tastes great - all the walnut chunks are nicely roasted and the bread is purpley and chewy. Will be something to look forward to for breakfast.

No comments: