Sunday, November 14, 2010

Lidia's gnocchi

As I put the butternut squash, glistening with olive oil, into the oven to roast I could not imagine that this funny shaped vegetable would transform into the best gnocchi I have ever tasted.
This recipe is from the October 2010 issue of Bon Appetit from the cover story - Lidia's Friuli. I made sure that I followed the recipe exactly especially the note about not working the dough too much and adding as little flour as possible.



With help from Maura and TG we managed to make four trays of the little dumplings. The dough was soft and a little sticky but each puffy pillow was easily rolled over a fork to give it texture and a cute little dimple.


We chilled the trays for over an hour before cooking them in boiling salted water.
TG made a butter and sage sauce using the sage from the garden. Sprinkled with lots of extra Parmesan, when I tasted this I thought I was still in Italy.
Served on my lemon platters from Positano this was a feast for the eyes. We paired it with a Primitivo del Salento - first time we have tried this wine and it was perfect with the gnocchi.

No comments: