Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Found - one quilt top


Ever since I took my first quilting class over twenty years ago, I have endeavored to make quilts, both for at home and as gifts. Some of my first quilts were made using old clothes just like they used to do in the old days. I had no idea of all the patterns that were out there; squares and triangles were my best friends. It takes a lot of work to make a quilt - designing, choosing colours, buying the fabric, cutting all the fabric, and sewing it together with a proper 1/4 inch seam. Then once you have the top made there is still more work. Now you have to choose a batting and a fabric for the back. The three layers must be basted or pinned; do you have a big enough work surface or will you be on your knees? A quilt frame is a great thing to have or you can pay someone with a long-arm quilting machine to stitch it all together with perfect little stitches. That can be expensive depending on how big your quilt is but so worth it.
Yes, making a quilt is a lot of work which makes me wonder why I found a perfectly nice quilt top at my favourite junk store yesterday.

No comments: